I am sitting in an overwhelming sensation that I can only describe as "Bliss." I just made a hybrid concoction of Betty Crocker and Alton Brown's Coq au Vin. I substituted corn starch for the flour, doubled the garlic and mushrooms, used turkey bacon, and unbelievably, added bacon fat. A year ago I don't think I'd be able to do it. And even if I was able to, I would not have been able to enjoy it the way I do tonight. It seriously was one of the most satisfying meals I've had. What makes it better than Thanksgiving is that I am just as satisfied mentally as I am physically. I made sure not to snack before dinner, and I took a break half way through the meal just to savor the flavors and the way it made me feel. My God, I feel amazing.
What probably made it even more satisfying is that I just finished playing doubles tennis for 2 hours before dinner. I was literally hungry and smelling the aromas of coq au vin wafting through my little kitchen only added to the anticipation. Well it was all worth it.
I'm so tired now, I think I could fall asleep right at this table.
Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment