Thursday, January 14, 2010

Epiphany

Today I have the task of putting together a nutrition lesson for parents at a preschool. To accomplish this I've turned to Ellyn Satter, child feeder extraordinaire, to guide my lesson plan. As I'm reading along I come across a passage that has just totally blown my mind.

Here it is: "Those parents...spoiled eating for their children by being controlling. The messages to the children? To have your parents around, you have to let them control you; in order to do it your own way, you have to get away from your parents."

This is so important because it explains why children sneak food; it explains why I sneaked food when I was a kid. It's not just that I felt I wasn't going to get enough- it was because I wanted to do it my way. Observing and understanding my behavior alows me to trust and accept myself. I hope who ever is reading this may be inspired to objectively look at their own eating behavior and attitudes and move forward as well.

1 comment:

  1. soo true! although, i already knew this because i read it here 7 months ago. you have done so much with your nutrition career in the past few months... the bloggers of the world want to know laura!

    ReplyDelete